Powered by WebAds

Friday, February 29, 2008

The GOP goes dhimmi

One of the unfortunate consequences of President Bush's backing off from his clear stance on Islamic terror is that the Republican party has followed. The result is this piece of political correctness from the Republican National Committee:
Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan formally denounced Thursday the Tennessee Republican Party's use of Barack Obama's full name in a recent press release questioning the Illinois senator's commitment to Israel.

“The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics," RNC Chairman Mike Duncan said in a statement. "We believe this election needs to be about the critical issues confronting our nation.”

The statement in question, which was released Monday, said the state party is joining a "growing chorus of Americans concerned about the future of the nation of Israel…if Sen. Barack Hussein Obama is elected president of the United States.” It also included a photograph of Obama from a 2006 trip to Kenya in which he is dressed in traditional attire worn by area Muslims.

The press release was sparked by recent praise for the Illinois senator from Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan, who has made several derogatory remarks about Judaism and has indicated his support for Obama. At Tuesday night's MSNBC debate, Obama said he denounced those comments and did not seek Farrakhan's support.
Does the Republican National Committee deny that Islamic terror is one of the 'critical issues' confronting the United States? Not all Muslims are terrorists but nearly all terrorists are Muslims - would the Republican National Committee claim that we should ignore that fact?

I have discussed Obama's troubling stands on Israel all over this blog (plug in "Obama" and you should get enough results that you should have to go to Google and not just use Blogspot's search engine). Would the Republican National Committee argue that those stands are not an issue? If the Republican National Committee is looking to return to the lukewarm support of Israel that existed under Bush 41, please let me know now so I don't waste my time and energy voting.

Like all Orthodox Jews (and like most Jews whether Orthodox or not - I would venture to guess), I have a Hebrew name. My Israeli identification card uses my English name because that is what was on my US passport when I got here and because my law practice's goodwill - especially in my early years here - was completely dependent on the name Carl. But my wife and children don't have English names - their given names are only in Hebrew. (If I posted under my Hebrew name, it would remove whatever anonymity I have left on this blog, because my Hebrew name is distinctive). Using Hebrew names only is a matter of pride in our community, and it's something much more common in my children's generation than in mine. If Hadassah Lieberman (Senator Lieberman's wife) ran for President, she would use the name Hadassah and everyone would know she is Jewish.

Is Barack Hussein Obama ashamed of his middle name? Does its use disclose something he would rather hide? And if it does, why is the Republican National Committee helping him hide it?

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Its a perfectly legitimate issue. The issue isn't whether Obama is a closest Islamist. The question is why does he need to hide his middle name? Understandably some people find theirs ridiculous so they want to call attention to it but the President is the nation's highest public office and the American people deserve to have Obama level with him before he is elected, not when its too late for them to change their minds. The GOP should agree this is something for the American people to weigh about the Democratic candidate's character and policies and they deserve to have the full truth known before the election.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger J. Lichty said...

If I posted under my Hebrew name, it would remove whatever anonymity I have left on this blog, because my Hebrew name is distinctive

I knew it. Carl is Matisyahu!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

J. Lichty,

Cute, but no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google